[Zope] Binding MailHost to an IP

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Dec 12 12:18:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 08:03, Kevin Carlson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a box with multiple IP addresses that I use to support some
> internal development work.  When using MailHost to send mail through an
> external mail server, I would like to have the mail "come from" one of
> the IP addresses in particular.
>
> It appears that the MailHost object is binding to the primary interface
> (eth0) instead of eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.  Is there a way that I can
> specify a source address for the email?

It would take some work.  MailHost is basically a wrapper around
Python's smtplib, which doesn't (IIRC) provide that as an option.

It might be easier to configure your remote mailserver to accept relays
from the IP corresponding with local eth0... or you could run a thin
SMTP server on your local machine that relays outbound mail for
localhost in whatever manner you require.

You could also probably handle this at the protocol level, but that's
not my area of expertise, so I can't do much more than speculate.

HTH,

Dylan