[Zope] ZOPE Newbie anonymous access problem

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Dec 12 12:35:47 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 17:31, Nicholas Addy wrote:
> I have a semi-urgent problem. Set up a VHM Monster mapped to url
> www.foo.com:8080/foo
>
> also edited host file (running XP)
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.0.1 www.foo.com
>
> The Problem: when I run the address www.foo.com
> I am required to submit a user name and password,

Given the setup you describe, when you connect to www.foo.com, you're
connecting to port *80* on localhost.  It's quite possible that you
already have something else (like IIS) running on 80.  You can't log in
because neither of your Zope users are recognized by that system.

> 2/ creating the foo folder as a manager as oposed to super user, I read
> this might make a difference

The super user serves one primary purpose: creating a manager. IMO, the
first four things you should do with any Zope setup are:
  1. Log in as the initial (super) user.
  2. Create a manager user
  3. Delete the initial user
  4. Re-authenticate as the manager