[Zope] Me vs. The Zope Book Pt. 1

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:24:58 +0100

Samir Mishra wrote at 2003-2-3 18:34 +0400:
 > I can't get some of the things mentioned in the ZB to work as expected. If
 > anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, that'll be much appreciated.
 >
 > 1. The following code -
 >     <dtml-tree>
 >       <dtml-var getId>
 >     </dtml-tree>
 > gives me nothing! Even in root, when I'm logged in as site manager,  & when
 > I'm an authenticated user, when the script has a proxy role of Manager, when
 > it doesn't, etc. According to ZB (pg. 124) I should see a display of an HTML
 > tree. What am I missing?
Almost surely, this code is in a DTML Document (rather than DTML Method).

  For some unknown (stupid) reason the base class of most
  Zope object classes ("OFS.SimpleItem.SimpleItem") defines
  Object Manager methods (such as those used by "dtml-tree").
  Of course, these methods cannot return useful results.

  DTML Document looks first in its local namespace (and finds
  the bad Object Manager methods); only then it looks in
  the namespace defined by its context.

  DTML Method looks only in the namespace defined by its context.

As a general rule: do not use DTML Document -- unless you know
precisely what you are doing.

Dieter