[Zope] Memory leak

Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:01:15 -0500

Mark,

I've also been struggling with Memory Leaks in Zope, and not having much
luck with it either. The behavior was much the same as yours, only over a
longer period of time (My Zope will last up to 8 or 10 days).

I'm using 2.5.1 however.

First thing I would recommend would be to install the LeakFinder product.
It was instrumental in my finding more about my leak.  Looks like the
LeakFinder, somehow imporves the refcount, and after installing it, you may
get better refcounts that will give you a clue of what's going on.  In my
case, where the DateTime refcounts never were a problem before, with
LeakFinder, I learned that I was leaking DateTime objects through lost
references it seems.  I'm also pretty sure it's got something to do with the
ZCatalog, since it's the one that instantiates these most. You may have been
reading my previous e-mails.
In my case though I think it's got to do with the searching, not the
indexing.

As far the request.set, apparently that's an "old" issue that probably is no
longer, but I removed them as best I could from my code ... didn't change
much anyways. This was due to concerns with the fact that the request object
is so intensively used and passed around internally, keep track of
references may have been a problem at some point.

Right now I've got my eyes on this piece of code:

from random import choice

selecteditem = choice(context.portal_catalog.searchResults(
meta_type='Featured Item', includeinrotation = '1',
review_state='published'))

return selecteditem

Which I could see how it might loose references if not done right, I'll be
running tests on this soon.

This type of behavior seems to be experienced by a range of people with
various apparent causes ... It would be nice if we could put our heads
together on this.

Anyways, sorry, I got carried away :) First: Setup LeakFinder :)

Cheers,
J.F.