[Zope] Two Zopes, Two Domains

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:29:22 -0600

>[Ken Dobruskin wrote (ken@dobruskin.com) on 2/10/03 4:50 PM]
>

>>I didn't think Zope had that much to do with it, rather that it was a DNS or
>>OS question. Maybe my ISP has confused me, but currently, if I point a domain
>>at an IP which is assigned to that machine, it goes to the Zope running on
>>port 80. How can I direct one IP/domain to each Zope?

DNS doesn't care about ports, but your web-browser does. It assumes that
if you don't specify a port in HTTP mode, that it should look at port
80, the 'well-known' port for HTTP. So if you have

Zope1 on 127.0.0.1:80
Zope2 on 127.0.0.1:8080
Zope3 on 127.0.0.1:12345

pointing your browser at 127.0.0.1 implies 127.0.0.1:80, which is Zope1.
You can't (so far as I know!) point a DNS record at a combination of
number and port. What you can do is get your webserver to rewrite
requests for the name 'Zope2' to the right number:port combo. Exactly
how that is done depends heavily on your setup.

          --jcc