[Zope] replication (was Zope: 5.4, jboss 0.3 million hits with google)

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:22:11 -0800

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:18:42AM +0000, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > I am not really the person to ask, as I haven't actually done it.
>
> But you know you want to ;-)

How did you know? ;)

(rsync sync strategy snipped)

> That will kinda work, apart from the performance issues mentioned above. Take
> care over locking on the replica; you dont want replication to restart when
> the master comes back up after an outage, with the storage still running on
> the slave.

good point.

> The big problem with this is that rsync is not atomic. If the master explodes
> half way through an rsync then the replica may contain half of the most
> recent transaction.

what could make the master "explode" if it's in snapshot mode?
catastrophic failure of some kind?

> 1.1 might still be in alpha, but I am sure it is more stable than anything
> based on rsync. As always, I am already using it in production. Replicating
> once per minute and performing a full check on the replica storage once per
> hour. It is looking good so far.

Once per MINUTE??? that's better than anything I hoped for.

Dare I ask for a 1.1 timeline? We are very interested in DirectoryStorage
but I know my team won't sign off on running our zodb off of some arbitrary
CVS checkout, it'll have to be a stable release.
We might go ahead with 1.0 in the meantime since it addresses a number
of our annoyances with FileStorage, and our storage is only growing
and growing....

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com