[Zope] Sizing a zope server

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:45:09 -0800

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:16:00PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Using ZODB it looks (from my initial foray) as if all data is stored in the
> file Data.fs.

yes, that's the default.

>  If Data.fs grows to 1/2 GB will my zope server still function?
> What if things grow to 2 GB?

We have had our production Data.fs up to 2.5 GB at times.
It works.  But your OS & filesystem and Python must both be configured to
support large files.

However, making backups of a monolothic file that big is rather
annoying, and we have had two cases of still-undiagnosed
database corruption which we recovered from but it was very aggravating.

For a more scaleable approach, we are investigating DirectoryStorage.
google for it, it's very interesting.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com