[Zope] Love Zope but want to avoid Python

Rene Pijlman rene@lab.applinet.nl
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:02:45 +0100

I started from the same position and I've been looking for open source Ja=
va
products (/projects) that compare to Zope, but I haven't found any. XMLC
comes closest to ZPT, Tapestry comes close to the OO paradigm for web
publishing, and of course there are many Java alternatives to ZODB. But
putting all of those packages together is a major project.

In the end I decided to go for Zope and learn Python. Python isn't that
difficult to learn and its a nice language. It can be used for many
purposes, including basic system administration scripts you probably
wouldn't use Java for. So Python skills are quite reusable.

If you are a competent Java programmer, you shouldn't need more than a
couple of days to get the hang of Python. Learning Zope will probably tak=
some more time though.

Cheers,
Ren=E9 Pijlman