[Zope] ExternalEditor and Umlauts

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:28:22 +0100

I'm having some problems using ExternalEditor/gvim with umlauts. The
irritating thing is that this is the first time this happens.

Datapoints:

1. development server, zope 2.5.1 + ExternalEditor 0.5, mozilla 1.2.1
    -> works
2. staging server, zope 2.5.1 + ExternalEditor 0.5, mozilla 1.2.1
    -> doesn't work

As one can see, the only difference is the server used (and the python
version, though I think I build them both in the same fashion).

Mozilla says that pages from Server 1 are ISO-8859-1 encoded, while the
others are UTF-8 encoded, and seems to act accordingly:

This happens when I post the dtml-method editing form with "äöü" as text
in the two servers:

1. title=&data%3Atext=a%F6%FC&SUBMIT=Save+Changes

2. title=&data%3Atext=%C3%A4%C3%B6%C3%BC&SUBMIT=Save+Changes

Seems mozilla sends this as UTF-8 in the second case, right?

So, either I have to solve the mystery how to get rid of the UTF-8
encoding, or I have to find out how to teach external editor/gvim
UTF-8.

Any hints/comments?

Thanks,
oliver