[Zope] ExternalEditor and Umlauts

Marius Gedminas marius@codeworks.lt
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:53:04 +0200

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:10:20PM +0100, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> >I suggest that you use UTF-8, or you'll encounter additional problems
> >later (e.g. when you find that you need the Euro sign somewhere).
>
> Thanks for the hints. But the problem is that this method doesn't work
> when you have this mixed ISO-8859-1/UTF-8 situation.

Can't you migrate to pure UTF-8?

> If I do what you
> describe here, the server which mozilla doesn't identify as UTF-8
> enoding (the development server in my scenario) won't work.

Yes, you need to set the Content-Type header.  You could include this
into standard_html_feader

  <dtml-call "request.RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type', 'text/html; charset=UTF-8')">

or do the equivalent thing from a PageTemplate macro.

> And seeing
> the problems talked about in zope-dev about zope's UTF-8 compability,
> I'm not sure I want to walk this road now for all servers here.

I've been using UTF-8 data in Zope for a long time, and so far haven't
experienced any problems.  (Ok, there was one: in Zope 2.5 every
inclusion of a page template used to override Content-Type, so setHeader
had to be called near the bottom of the outermost PT.  This is fixed in
Zope 2.6.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Codeworks is available for Zope consulting -- http://www.codeworks.lt/