[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:21:28 +0000

Bo M. Maryniuck wrote:

> But I think ZPT is not a right tool for creating non-HTML stuff, like CSS, XML
> etc, do you?

I think ZPT is fine for doing non-HTML stuff. It's specifically designed for
geenrating XML, and it does pretty well with things like SQL and CSS too,
especially when you consider it means you don't have to learn another templating
language.

> And ZPT is too explicit.

There is no such thing. If you don't like things explicit then you shouldn't be
using something python-based. Explicitness also results in a lot less confusion
in the long term...

> OTOH, both are good and can coexist
> together. Are you agree here? ;-)

They can, I just want to avoid the situation where you _need_ to know both, as
is currently the case.
I'd also prefer to see new users advised to start with ZPT rather than having to
struggle with DTML befoer they find ZPT.

cheers,

Chris