[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:37:33 -0600

>>DTML just doesn't scale
>>to non-techies or content people who are talented at HTML, but not
>>'programming.'
>>

>Being exactly what you are referring to, ie: someone who knows html, but
>not programming, I have to disagree.  I tried Zope initially BECAUSE of
>it's tag based scripting language.  I found it very easy to learn, and
>granted, I have encountered some syntax issues that were a problem for a
>while, but searching on zope.org and asking for direction from list
>members, everything has worked out just fine.  I constructed 26 virtual
>sites with Zope and DTML.  I have also looked at ZPT and found it rather
>confusing.  I guess maybe it's just the way I'm wired or how I process
>information, in any case, since we're not all the same, I feel that
>continuing to offer both solutions would be the most appropriate course.

You're right: if you have good control over all the people working on
your site (i.e. by yourself, with other of the  Zope-savvy) either
templating language can work fine. DTML, being straightforward, might
even be easier (depending on if you've been trained to think XMLishly or
not.) Note of course that Page Templates *look* a lot more obscure than
they actually are.

But throw in a couple designers with WYSIWYG editors and all hell's out
for noon with DTML, so far as round-tripping your design is concerned.
If that'll never happen, don't worry about it; if it might, or will,
think very hard. And test the likely tools.

There are people who think best in both DTML and ZPT modes, and I don't
think it's a bad thing to have both lying around, so long as it is clear
that "best practice" involves Page Templates (which I think it does),
and the reasons for that are explained.

       --jcc