[Zope] How to refresh the whole browser window?

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:52:10 -0800

This is an HTML/DHTML question, really.

First, there's no way to push a refresh at someone.  What you want to do,
ultimately, is set up the client to request new pages in response to some
trigger.

One approach is to figure out the Javascript code that would do that for
your particular frame layout, figure out what event should trigger the
refresh and provide the relevant code at your user.  Any such refresh is
going to happen client-side as a result of a client-side event and will be
subject to client support.

A slightly more involved (but more predictable) approach is you can
structure you frameset document to provide different pages based on a
passed querystring.  Target all links to this frameset document and thus
any click could create a change in what's displayed in an arbitrary number
of frames.  By itself, this won't assure a *refresh* of the frame content,
but a deft application of HTTP headers, javascript, or url munging should
pretty much do the trick.

HTH,

Dylan