[Zope] Re: Re: Getting an authenticated user out of context

Crosbie Fitch crosbie@cyberspaceengineers.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:22:02 -0000

"Dario Lopez-Kästen" wrote in message news:00ab01c2d984$904533c0
> I have to say that I do not really understand the problem.
>
> If the user is known then he/she/it is authenticated at toplevel ROOT (in
> the ROOT.acl_users folder) - a pre-requisite for showing content based on
> the current user.
>
> If so, then he/she/it is  also authenticated at sublevel B (in the ROOT.B
> folder). You do not need to create the user in the ROOT.B.acl_users
folder.

> Thus the user is known at the root level, and is also known _and_
> authenticated at any lower level.
>
> Or have I totally misunderstood what you are trying to do?

Thanks Dario. :-)

1) I want to use ExUserFolder (my users are in an SQL database).
2) I'd like to be able to display user dependent info in root level pages
3) Received wisdom (and a bad experience) indicates that ExUserFolder should
not be at root level
4) If ExUserFolder's acl_users can't be put at the root, then how does
/index_html interrogate /subfolder/acl_users as to the current user?

At the moment I've conceded defeat and have resigned myself to not being
able to display user dependent info in root level pages. And I don't like
the idea of an instant redirect. Though I suspect that it may be possible to
use VHM to achieve the same effect more transparently.