[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:46:54 -0800

On Sunday 23 February 2003 09:00 am, Fernando Martins wrote:

> Maik Jablonski wrote:
> > Stephan is not the only one... I like ZPT (great concept), but I still
> > prefer DTML too... Just another measurement error? ;)

> Maybe you don't work with a designer(s) who barely understand html and you
> don't need to go back and forth between design and coding? Then, zpt might
> not be make a big difference?

Some people would consider that an organizational problem.  Either pay for
training, or get smarter designers. ;-D

For my purposes, anyway, a designer who "barely understands HTML" is useless,
anyway.  As I mentioned, I don't think that form without function is worth
pursuing.  Anyway, we're more likely to have designers who've never seen a
GUI page designer (or have and hate them).  You know -- the kind of designers
who try to make things look good in Internet Explorer, Mozilla, *and* w3m.

As for the "try it and you'll know we're right" attitude -- If I bought into
that, I'd be programming web pages in Lisp by now. Lispers have been swearing
we'll all convert as soon as we get over our irrational fear of parentheses
since, what?, the 1970's?

I think there's another perfectly good explanation for why people "who use
both ZPT and DTML" prefer ZPT, while those who "only use DTML" prefer DTML:

1) After assessing it, it was obvious we hated ZPT. And we don't *have* to
use it for anything, because it's redundant.

2) After assessing it, you loved ZPT. However, you can't live without DTML so
you still use it.

So, naturally, you're stuck using both,  whereas we don't need anything else,
because we're happy.  I personally find this the most rational explanation.

I think the real distinction between ZPT and DTML partisans is what it is
they spend most of their time doing, and how they think about the resulting
applications:  If you are using a basically static site design, which is
simply a front-end to a python application, ZPT may be great -- and if it
solves your organizational problem, very much so.  But if your site is
basically generative -- being itself restructured by the output of a python
application, and not a mere vessel for it, then DTML is awfully handy.

Of course once you pick one or the other as a favorite, you'll probably wind
up being biased to that simply because you know it well.  You will also tend
to think one way or the other about the site design, further biasing your
opinion.

Fortunately, the world is big enough for both of us.

One of the reasons I went for an integrated Python/Zope solution for my
project was to avoid an excessive number of development languages. Python,
being very general purpose, makes that feasible.  The downside is, I'm now
reimplementing a lot of stuff in Python and DTML that is already available as
PHP code.  The "hack" approach would be to just stick PHP into my application
and be done with it, but I feel I'll get a better (smaller, faster, simpler,
easier to interface) product if I keep things more integrated.

Cheers,
Terry