[Zope] Managing permissions & Security

Samir Mishra SamirMishra@cbuae.gov.ae
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:48:13 +0400

Hello all,

Hoping for some help on permissions & security.

I have a root folder defined as UserFolder. Within UserFolder, I've defined
3 additional roles of FolderManager, Author & Reviewer. None of the
permissions are acquired from parent, Author, Reviewer & FolderManager roles
have appropriate explicit permission settings. Manager has been granted ALL
permissions. FolderManager has been granted only the following permissions
(below) -

  Access Transient Objects
  Access arbitrary user session data
  Access contents information
  Add Folders
  Access session data
  Add Forum posting
  Add MetaEntrys
  Add User Folders
  Change ExtFile/ExtImage
  Change Local File System properties
  Change MetaPublisher
  FTP access
  List folder contents
  Log Site Errors
  Mail forgotten password
  Manage users
  MetaPublisher: Add Entry
  MetaPublisher: Edit Entry
  MetaPublisher: List Entries
  MetaPublisher: Manage
  MetaPublisher: Search Entries
  Overwrite local files
  Query Vocabulary
  Set Own Password
  View
  View Forum
  View management screens
  query

No "local roles" have been defined.

What I'm trying to do is create a user within the UserFolder who has
permission to grant access to other users from the management screen. I.e.,
the FolderManager should be able to grant access to other users as either
(Authenticated, Author, Reviewer) by updating the User Folder with
additional usernames.

The problem I'm having is that I find the FolderManager can create a user
with a role of "Manager' and this user will then have the ability to change
any of the permissions - permissions not originally available to
FolderManager.

Question -
1) how do I allow the FolderManager to create users with ONLY one of the
following roles - Authenticated, Author, Reviewer - and exclude them from
creating users with the Manager role? Can this be done through the normal
management views?
2) Is there a better way of achieving this - creating a user within a folder
who has the ability to add/delete users in other roles, but cannot assign
themselves to any other role but of FolderManager?

If any of the above is confusing PLEASE let me know, as I'm in a real twist
over how to change this behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Samir.