[Zope] Structured text is inconvenient esp. w BackTalk

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
26 Feb 2003 11:33:18 -0500

Structured text has some well-known idiosyncrasies.  One of these is
that a body paragraph is defined as a block of lines followed by a
carriage return where each line is indented to the same number of
characters.  Another is that a "heading" is defined as a single line of
text followed by a carriage return and a further-indented block of
text.  Your examples show that you've created something that you think
is a body paragraph, although structured text rules consider it a
heading because it has no line breaks.  Structured text has these
idiosyncrasies because one of its tenets is that its source should be as
"human-readable" as its rendering.

For an example of "correct" structured text formatting, see
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ScriptingZope.stx/document_src (and its rendering at http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/ScriptingZope.stx).

You're not doing anything wrong, really, but BackTalk does make the
assumption that you are willing to author your content in structured
text (this is mentioned prominently in the docs).  If you step outside
the bounds of structured text, your formatting will suffer, as you've
found out.  I'd suggest using an indent-aware text editor instead of
OpenOffice.  I use emacs in "indented-text-mode" via External Editor.
BackTalk can also create PDFs, so if you're comfortable with editing
like this, you can deliver PDFs to your customer instead of .doc files.
On the other hand, if structured text is hamstringing you, you might
want to consider using something other than BackTalk, because it's
nontrivial to teach it to use an input format different than structured
text.