[Zope] Structured text is inconvenient esp. w BackTalk

Luciano Ramalho luciano@hiper.com.br
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:47:39 -0300

On quarta-feira, fev 26, 2003, at 18:00 America/Sao_Paulo, Asad
Quraishi wrote:

> Does the IE WYSIWYG editor produce STX?  Is it producing HTML and
> delivering via WEBDAV?  I'd love to know which editor your are using,
> why & how you are using it.

For several months we've been using the IE Editor for Zope, written by
V. Satheesh Babu. You can get it at:
- http://vsbabu.org/webdev/zopedev/ieeditor.html

It works very well, but only on IE for Windows, versions 5.5 and above.
It generates HTML in a textarea which you handle like a regular form
field (so this involves no WebDAV). In the product page, Babu says "I
should probably make use of MSHTML control since DHTML Editing Control
used in this is no longer supported by Microsoft."

Anyway, since we like to reduce ties with Microsoft stuff, in the past
few days we've donwload a few Mozilla-1.1-based WYSIWYG editors. We
haven't been succesful installing ComposIte and another one (I forget
which one right now) on two Debian and one MacOS X machine. We are
testing on those plaforms first, because we really want something
cross-plaform (we don't mind if the solution browser-specific, as long
as the browser is open source and multi-platform like Mozilla).

We are very interested in a Mozilla-based solution because we feel that
is the way to go. Anythinng Java-base is a dead-end for me
(re-implementing rich-text rendering within a browser sounds like a
very bad idea).

A very extensive list of WYSIWYG editors was compiled by Paul Browing,
another Zopista:
- http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

This is an ongoing investigation for us. When we reach some conclusion
I'll let you know. Meanwhile, if anybody has had real world experience
deploying any of these Mozilla-based editors, we want to hear from you!

Best regards,

Luciano