[Zope] Zope killed by TCPA?

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:07:51 +0100

rra42 wrote:
> Since April last year when IBM started shipping ThinkPads with TCPA
> ( http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20020424S0013 ) it has no longer been
> credible for us to tell prospective Zope/python clients that it will
> never happen.
>
> They are reading that TCPA will solve their virus/ confidentiality/
> spam/ security problems and they want to know if investments they make
> in a Zope/Python solution today will continue to look like a smart
> decision two years from now when, with "software assurance" TCPA enabled
> XP Longhorn is the only upgrade option they have.
>
> I just think it would be a good idea for the Zope community to have a
> community response to these questions.
>
> Best wishes,

Look, if TCPA would really cause something like zope not to work
anymore, it would also

- cause any legacy application not to work
- make it impossible to develop anything in-house
- kill any software-company not being able to shell out $100000 to
certify their software
- kill any software where it's not financially feasible to certify it,
IOW, nearly everything you can find on something like tucows would vanish

Since the above amounts to appr. 95% of all software, tell your clients
if this were true they'll probably have some bigger problems than zope.

cheers,o
liver