[Zope] Killer features for a user group site?

Tue Wennerberg tue@wennerberg.dk
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:51:28 +0100

Florian Konnertz wrote:
> Hello Tue,
>
> Tue Wennerberg wrote:
>

>> Hey
>>
>> My question is: What are the best features for a user group website?
>>
>> I'm working an a site for the local Zope user group. I want it to keep
>> it simple and easy to use. Furthermore I want to actively involve the
>> members for content-contribution.
>>
>> Therefore I'm concentrating my efforts on the following elements (in
>> order of importance): Mailing lists, meeting announcements, a few
>> small introductory articles and news items.
>>
>> Are these the best features? Are there any better ones?
>

> Imo, THE killer feature/app (for content-contribution) is ZWiki
> (http://zwiki.org), combining email(-lists) and web.
>
> Do you consider CMF also or is this too big for your group? If yes, i'd
> suggest the combo of CMF and ZWiki.

I hadn't really thought of ZWiki, but I know the concept. I'll
definitely have another look.

My current version of the future site is a CMF-1.3 based site. However,
I've stripped it down to a few elements, I've even removed member homes
for now (they confuse people). New object instances are instead created
in the folder where they belong to (e.g. meeting announcements are
created by the member in the /meetings/ folder).

Also, I've added a method for auto-generated IDs, since people shouldn't
have to worry about that for dynamic elements, imo.

Meeting announcements automatically show up on the front page when
published, and so should news items.

I'm considering showing, also on the front page, the headlines of the
latest messages in the mailing list archive.

- Tue Wennerberg