[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:52:06 -0800

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:40:08PM +0200, Bo M. Maryniuck wrote:
> Zope is for *FREE*. It means no pay for a tool. But if you get a J2EE, insert
> a lot of money there, then you will get not only Goblin, but a true big fat
> Troll with a big hammer (from a Quake 1 or "Lord of the rings") when you will
> see weird useless Java tracebacks in few browser screens to scroll.

This corresponds exactly with our experience of Zope and BEA solutions:

Zope + CMF: runs for days and weeks without trouble,
restarts rarely needed during development, and it restarts in a few seconds.
Cost nothing to deploy on several servers. Not free from "goblins"

BEA + Portal: runs for a few days at most without trouble, restarts are
constantly needed during development, and it restarts in minutes.
Cost somewhere in the low hundreds of thousands US dollars to deploy on
several servers.  Not free from "goblins".

OTOH, we're still doing a lot with BEA ... got a lot more Java / JSP
knowledge here in house than python / zope knowledge,
and they've built some pretty cool apps with
it, and I'm the only one who thinks we should use python for everything. :)
But we are seriously considering ditching Portal and BEA and moving
to something like Tomcat.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com