[Zope] Zope reference documentation?

Patrick Price patrick@wvu.edu
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:27:37 -0500

Is there a book or a place where I can find:

a: a DTML programmer's reference, or an API reference, or a TAL
reference which contains ALL the objects and methods available to any of
these scripting languages?  The Zope Book doesn't have such a reference.
 What it has is very limited and not for a beginner.

For instance, let's say I want to learn about something really basic,
like what REQUEST.get does.   I've searched the Zope 2nd edition book
(searched the most likely 4 chapters where I thought I could find this
information) and found nothing.  I've searched Google on how to use
"REQUEST.get" - nothing again that looks like a reference.  I could
probably find it mentioned in the cookbook in a snippet, but where's the
book that has this BASIC stuff in it, indexed, with examples, along with
all the other methods of the REQUEST object; and then all the other
callable objects as well?

Where is the basic Zope documentation?  Don't say "The Zope Book"
because that jumps from too-basic to extremely complex within one
paragraph, and it is missing a comprehensive object.method reference
with syntax and examples.  There is a need for two Zope books - one to
put the screenshots in (a programmer's reference doesn't need
screenshots), for absolute beginners, and one programmer's / scripting
reference with objects, methods, syntax, and examples.  Maybe even three
books, the last being the high-level object-oriented architectural
python-related stuff that most people don't need to know to write scripts.

<flame>
Is it the intention of Zope Corporation to limit the use of Zope, by
keeping easily understood and useful documentation away from the masses?
 It sure seems this way.  This is my second or third attempt at learning
Zope (without knowing Python - BTW, is that a prerequisite?) and each
time I am frustrated by the lack of the type of documentation I can
easily find for any other language (PHP, C) or a scripting reference
(ASP, Javascript) or application framework (Midgard has excellent API
documentation).  I am amazed that since Zope is all-powerful, that it
has not used to build a site comparable to, say,
http://www.php.net/docs.php.  The wikis are pathetic compared to other
collaborative projectware and portalware (www.xoops.org),
axisgroupware.org, dev.4arrow.com (a php-based Zope lookalike, although
his documentation sucks REALLY bad).   I've never seen a calendar in
Zope comparable to something like MS Outlook's calendar, which I've seen
in other portalware products.
Is Zope not up to the task; or is it that nobody except the developers
really know how to explain how it's used; or is it that nobody knows how
to write documentation?  Is it funding?  Hell, if someone just copied
the table of contents from the PHP site, and then wrote comprehensive
Zope documentation around that,  you might solve the Zope documentation
deficit.  And then you would have more people who understood it and all
the benefits that would bring to the community.
</flame>

How people have learned Zope thus far with the documentation available
is beyond me.  It must be that I didn't grow up learning OOP in computer
science like everyone does these days...

-Patrick Price