[Zope] Re: Zope with Novell NDS

Holger Blasum holger@blasum.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:03:55 +0100

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:44:43AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > It works. I've been able to use all of Zope's LDAP tools with our NDS.
> Great.  Is it possible that you might be a little bit more explicite?
> Kind of (Mini!)HowTo?

http://www.blasum.net/holger/wri/comp/net/7appl/ldap/

is the same using python directly (without the LDAP folder tools) but
rather with raw python-ldap (that is also used by the ldap products).
This manipulates arbitrary objects via external methods. So that's a
proof of concept: yes (sole exception, you cannot directly read out, the
"userPassword" attribute from eDir users, but you can "compare" and
"modify" it). Another caveat might be that some NDS install just speak
LDAP v3, which has only recently made it into python-ldap (in case,
tweak either the server down to v2, or mix in another python-ldap).

However, this was a duplication of efforts for pedagogical purposes,
maybe don't do it this way, rather use existing products
(that also use python-ldap or maybe ldaptor) wherever possible.

Something, that I have not explored yet (in my situation it was easier just
to use python directly)
whether LDAPUserFolder or another product also can be forced to work on
arbitrary objects, (technically this should not be difficult).

Also note that LDAPUserGroups handles arbitrary OUs so that should be enough
for most practical purposes.

But if anybody knows of  Zope LDAP Products *not* using
LDAPUserFolder pls let me know.

--
Holger Blasum <holger@blasum.net>   pls sign http://petition.eurolinux.org
GnuPG 1024D/ACDFC3B769DC1ED66B47    against software patents in Europe!