[Zope] Regular expressions insecurity?

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:37:19 -0800

There was a discussion of this months ago. There are, IIRC, two big answers.

1) It's easy to write a regexp that sucks down time, above and beyond what
you would expect. Since Zope is often used as a general CMF for non
technical people, exposing regexes is a bad idea (I don't buy this answer
myself...)

2) The python regex package is in C and no one has written the security
wrapping code that Zope requires. I'm fuzzy on the details but this answer
makes a lot more sense.

Thus the answer is most likely that it is not exposed because no one got
around to it. Since the security risk is pretty small and you can easily
expose it yourself, I don't think there is much pressure to fix the problem
for real.