[Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:17:51 +0000

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 1:37 pm, Mario Valente wrote:

>    OK. Make sure that the clients are connected to the backend
>  server (the one above) on a private network.

For security or performance reasons?

>    If you intend to spend some extra money, spend it on a front end
>  load balancer caching system. You would put this in front of your
>  ZEO client machines, spreading the load and caching most of the
>  pages.

I would say that some kind of front end proxy is essential for this setup=
=2E=20
There are happy users of  Squid, Apache, and Pound.

> fast. We've been looking at DirectoryStorage but right now its still no=
> final=20

FYI, we hit 1.0.0 a few weeks ago.=20

> and we're afraid that at some point (ie large sites with lots of
> objects) the OS might run out of file handles.

Apart from two lock files, DirectoryStorage only opens file handles=20
momentarily.=20

On some filesystems you may want to be concerned with running out of inod=
es.=20
On linux I strongly recommend reiserfs, which does not have this problem=20
because it can create inodes on demand.

(thanks for raising this concern - I will add these to the DirectoryStora=
ge=20
FAQ)

> All images should be stored as External
>  Files (as well as any other BLOBs like PDF files, DOC files, etc).

Im not sure that advice is universally true, unless your blobs are never=20
change or mastered elsewhere. Putting everything in ZODB/ZEO simplifies=20
backups, replication, and distribution of changes.

--=20
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson