[Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

Mario Valente mvalente@ruido-visual.pt
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:33:07 +0000

At 14:17 29-01-2003 +0000, Toby Dickenson wrote:
>On Wednesday 29 January 2003 1:37 pm, Mario Valente wrote:
>
>>    OK. Make sure that the clients are connected to the backend
>>  server (the one above) on a private network.
>
>For security or performance reasons?

  Both, of course.

>> fast. We've been looking at DirectoryStorage but right now its still not
>> final
>
>FYI, we hit 1.0.0 a few weeks ago.

  Yes, I'm aware of that. Nonetheless we prefer to "road test" it for
 a while on less important less traficked sites before we go whole hog :-)

>> and we're afraid that at some point (ie large sites with lots of
>> objects) the OS might run out of file handles.
>
>Apart from two lock files, DirectoryStorage only opens file handles
>momentarily.
>
>On some filesystems you may want to be concerned with running out of inodes.
>On linux I strongly recommend reiserfs, which does not have this problem
>because it can create inodes on demand.

  I was actually thinking inodes when I wrote filehandles. Thanks for
 the aditional info on reiserfs.

>> All images should be stored as External
>>  Files (as well as any other BLOBs like PDF files, DOC files, etc).
>
>Im not sure that advice is universally true, unless your blobs are never
>change or mastered elsewhere. Putting everything in ZODB/ZEO simplifies
>backups, replication, and distribution of changes.

  If you put all images/docs/whatever in a single directory or directory
 tree you have simpler solutions to backup, replication and distribution.
  We found out by experience that its not beneficial to store large binary
 files in Zope, especially when there are constant file uploads going on.

  C U!

   -- Mario Valente