[Zope] strange issue with Zope HEAD (2.x) and python 2.2.2

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:01:16 +0100

antonio.meireles@epandemic.com wrote at 2003-1-28 18:51 +0000:
 > after several weeks away from zopeland (sickness) i fetched the latest
 > sources from CVS.
 >
 > AFAIK the soon to be 2.7 should had worked rigth out of the box with
 > python 2.2.x.
 >
 > Anyway with python 2.2.2 (and with both gcc3.2.1 and 2.95) i *allways*
 > get this build error, at build time of zope sources:
 >

 >         (...)
 >         Creating stop script, stop
 >         creating default inituser file
 >         Traceback (most recent call last):
 >           File "/usr/lib/python2.2/random.py", line 355, in choice
 >             return seq[int(self.random() * len(seq))]
 >         OverflowError: float too large to convert
 >         make: *** [all] Error 1
This happens very late in the installation process.
Your Zope is almost usable (your create the "inituser" file
with the "zpasswd" utility.

Your problem looks like a bug in Python's "random" module.

   When I remember right, "random()" must return a number
   between 0.0 and 1.0.
   When it really does, then "int(self.random() * len(seq))"
   will not overflow.

   As a consequence. "random()" behaves badly.

   Find out why...

Dieter