[Zope] New Management Tabs and data types only with ZClasses or products

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:10:58 +0100

Sven Hohage wrote at 2003-1-28 23:31 +0100:
 > Is it possible to define new data types and to add a management tab without
 > using ZClasses or building a new product.
Some people like so called "monkey patches" to add new tabs.

Of course, you need write access to the file system to do this.

 > When not, how do you rate ZClasses in regards of stability and no long term
 > quirks.
I am using ZClasses back since Zope 2.1.6.
I did not have problems (beside some minor bugs).

The mailing list archives tell you about 1 serious problem:

  You should not derive from a ZClass in a different product.

  All other (severe) problems could be resolved.

 > My question is linked to the problem that I'd like to build a website out of
 > templates which should be for flexibility very small blocks.
 > This means the actual site(i.e. contact_html) is a folder and in this folder
 > are other folders that contains the templates contents.
 > But now I've got the problem to make a clean distinction between folders and
 > folders.
 > This means the folders that are webpages and those that are only templates.
Maybe, the CMF related discussion about composite documents is
of interest for you...

I do not understand what your folder which is a temple is.
But, I would make a Python Product, derived from "Folder" with
whatever special it want to have.
I cannot easily imagine in what way a folder would be a template,
as a folder is essentially a set of objects and a template is
something completely different.

Dieter