[Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

Wankyu Choi wankyu@neoqst.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:17:22 +0900

From: Toby Dickenson [mailto:tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com]=20
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 11:18 PM
To: Mario Valente; Wankyu Choi; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

<snip>

> All images should be stored as External
>  Files (as well as any other BLOBs like PDF files, DOC files, etc).

>>Im not sure that advice is universally true, unless your blobs are =
never=20
>>change or mastered elsewhere. Putting everything in ZODB/ZEO =
simplifies=20
>>backups, replication, and distribution of changes.

If possible, that's exactly what I want to do: putting everything into =
ZODB.
Yes, that simplifies everything: I wouldn't have to rewrite NeoBoard (
web-based discussion board ) and the other products for one thing ;-) =
I've
been developing Zope products with one thing in mind in terms of =
storage:
some day, they'll come up with a better storage model; don't reinvent =
the
wheel. =20

Yes, most of my blobs will be constantly changing.  What would be the =
pros
and cons on 1. putting everything in ZODB using the directory storage as
backend 2. getting some help from RDBMS like MySQL? I mean everything
including acl_users.

While we're at the subject... I'd be pulling, say, 10,000 objects from
directory storage in one go if a NeoBoard forum gets heavily populated (
10,000 articles or 5,000 articles with each article having one =
attachment
object ). How slow would it be compared to an SQL "select * from
heavily_populated_board limit 50" (supposing a pageful of article list =
would
spew out 50 articles )? ( I just assume it'd be slower than using MySQL.
Correct me if I'm wrong. )

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Wankyu Choi
      To the dedicated staff at NeoQuest, language is not a problem
          to be dealt with, but an art waiting to be performed.
  Wankyou Choi
  CEO/President
  NeoQuest Communications, Inc.
  3rd Floor, HMC Bldg., 730-14, Yoksam-dong, Kangnam-gu
  Seoul, Korea
  Tel: 82-2 - 501 - 7124 Fax: 82-2-501-7058
  Corporate Home: http://www.neoqst.com
  Personal  Home: http://www.zoper.net, http://www.neoboard.net
  e-mail:   wankyu@neoqst.com