[Zope] MailHost, subject and Spanish characters

george donnelly list@zettai.net
Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:05:29 +0000

[Vladimir Petrovic wrote (vladap@criticalpublics.com) on 7/3/03 10:58 AM]

> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 21:34, george donnelly wrote:
>> I have a script that produces an email (in Spanish) when new content is
>> published. I can get the body of the email to show up correctly (ie the
>> accents etc render correctly) but the subject turns spanish characters into
>> garbage.
>>

> SMTP message header has to be encoded specially if it contains non ascii
> characters. Subject has to be of the form:
> =?<enc>?b?<text>?=
>
> and text should be base64 encoded.
>
> Here is a simple script that will generate proper header value for a UTF-8
> string:

thanks for your suggestion and the script. I ended up doing it this way:

------

from email.Header import Header

      esSubject = Header(contentObject.Title(), 'utf-8')

      essString = str(esSubject)

       mSubj = essString

       mailhost.send(mMsg, subject=mSubj, encode='quoted-printable')

------

<-->
george donnelly - http://www.zettai.net/ - "Quality Zope Hosting"
Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet - MSN: zettainet@hotmail.com - ICQ: 51907738