[Zope] MS Explorer Cache

kosh kosh@aesaeion.com
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:15:31 -0600

On Monday 07 July 2003 03:22 am, Jerry Westrick wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I got a problem keeping Internet Explorer from returning values from
> the cache instead of getting the new values of external files being
> downloaded.
>
> Sometimes a "refresh" will get IE to get the new values, and somtimes
> I have to delete all temporary files.
>
> Does anybody know how IE to fix this?
>
> Is there a parameter in IE to say DONOT cache this site?
>
> Is there something I can do to the External Files to enfluence IE?
>
> Jerry Westrick

=46rom my experience with IE this is not possible. I have set every no cach=
e=20
header I could find and I still find situations where IE grabs an old versi=
on=20
of the page. Telling it to check every time seems to do nothing either. I=20
have used ethereal(network analyzer) and checked IE5-IE6 and I see the same=
=20
behavior in all of them. Sometimes it just draws an old version of a page=20
without ever connecting to the server. I just doesn't check if the info has=
=20
changed and so the headers do nothing it seems. =20

Overall IE has a very broken HTTP implementation and a little reading throu=
gh=20
the ms knowledge base on it reveals a LOT of issues.It seems to operate on=
=20
the assumption that the data on pages rarely changes and so makes shortcuts=
=20
in what it does based on that. I have even had it return an error message=20
from zope up to 2 hours old and clicking in refresh over and over again or=
=20
shift-refresh did nothing and ethereal showed that the server was not being=
=20
contacted