[Zope] Webcam and Zope

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:10:04 -0500

>Hey Zope People!
>My name is Ricardo and I'm a newbie in Zope. In my first work with it I
>need to do a guest control system. I need to fill a form with some personal
>information about the person and I need to get a picture from him using a
>webcam connected to the PC. How can I do it??? I have been looking for some
>kind of solution but I did not found anything, could anyone help me??? I
>really need a hand with that.

It depends on how the webcam works. I see two obvious avenues:

 - if it makes its image available at some internet address (like
localhost!) you can write a Zope script to fetch that image and store it
in the proper place in the ZODB.

 - if it makes its image available on your hard-drive somehow, get it
there, and use a web form to upload that image just like you would any
other.

Both of these approaches are really standard fare. You may have to do a
little bit of thinking about where and when these operations occur with
regard to your "personal information transaction", but it's not a hard
problem.

Note that I have no idea how any actual web-cams work, much less yours,
but I think they should do at least one of the above unless they're
really proprietary (read: broken by design.)

            --jcc