[Zope] Newbie screwup -- help!

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:43:07 +0200

Fox, Gordon wrote at 2003-7-10 19:39 -0400:
 > I just started using Zope, and just managed to create part of a usable
 > portal on my site. Then for some dumb reason I changed its name -- now
 > when I try to open the portal from within the management menu, I get a
 > message telling me
 >
 >     "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded.  Unable to load the
 >      requested page.  This may be caused by cookies that are blocked."
 >
 > I did an undo on the name change, and that doesn't help.
 >
 > Is there anything I can do to get back this portal, or am I s.o.l. --
 > need to delete it and do it all over again?

No, I do not think so. Backup your "Data.fs" (it contains Zope's state).

The error message above comes from your browser.
It complains because it operates in a redirect chain that contains
the same URL several times (e.g. a redirect to itself).

Key to the analysis to your problem is to know which URL this is.
Look into "var/Z2.log". This is Zope's HTTP log file.
It has one line per request describing (among other) client-IP,
URL, response status, size, ...
You will probably see near the end several requests with the same
URL. Check the object addressed by this URL why it redirects to itself.

Dieter