[Zope] Son of ZSyncer

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:08:44 -0400

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:09:45AM -0700, Dennis Allison wrote:
> ZSyncer is a cool product but....
>
> It isn't recursive and it's not scriptable.

Oh, I have a lot more complaints with it than that ;-)
Check the CVS sources, read the TODO that I've been piling ideas
into.

> I need a product that synchronizes client from a parent site recursively
> through the folder structure, but configuable so that certain folders and
> their descendants are not synced.

Yes, recursion would be very useful in some situations and is on the
TODO list. I hadn't thought about configuration such as you suggest.
Can you elaborate on your requirements a bit?
The first idea that occurs to me is to add a text entry to the
sync view in which the user can enter an expression (TALES?) that needs
to pass before recursing into a subobject.

> I also need the difference test to be
> something a bit more robust than date/time since some clients get hot
> patched and can possibly get out of sync.  (The fix was done to the master
> but not distributed, but the secondary got hot patched with a hotfix...)

yes, date/time comparison is very naive and not at all reliable.
I've outlined many possible improvements in the TODO. I've had no feedback
on them yet, comments and better ideas would be very welcome.

> Suggestions?

Yes - help us improve zsyncer! :-)

If you have time to work on any of this stuff, send patches to the
maintainers listed at Sourceforge. I'd be very interested in testing
any patches and I can check them in for you.  If that gets too cumbersome,
we should be able to get you writeable CVS access.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com