[Zope] Assumption on use of .render() in rendering formulator field in the actual HTML

AdvertisingDept Layne.Bilyeu@robbstucky.net
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:53:01 -0400

>It is my assumption that when we use .render() on the formulator field, it
>names the field from formulator as field_fieldname, in the actual HTML.
>There is no other alternative to render to get the fieldname as
>field_fieldname. Is my assumption correct.

Since .render() already gives you the fieldname as field_fieldname,
why would you need an alternative to achieve the same purpose?

> alternative to render to get the fieldname as field_fieldname.

I'm going to make an assumption.
Here's what I think you are asking-

First, I'll quote faassen from the formulator page
http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/Formulator

"Don't ever use field_<fieldname>; anything prefixed with field_ in
REQUEST is a Formulator implementation detail. Instead, don't forget to
validate the form"

   From what I've been able to deduce about formulator...

Your ZPT or DTML renders the form using formulator,
the user's responses are put into temporary variables
named field_fieldname.

You then use formulator's VALIDATE functions,
they process the field_fieldname variables
and pass the values that are valid into appropriately
named fieldnames (without the field_ prefix).
I assume this is what you are unclear about.

   Of course, I've only begun messing with formulator
   I could be completely wrong, but this is how I've
   been using the formulator product. --YMMV