[Zope] Performance requirements and ZEO

BZ bz@bwanazulia.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:23:39 -0500 (CDT)

Bart....

I run 2/3 major sites that brings my zope up to about 100,000 hits a day
and I can tell you you are going to have a lot of capacity.

My set up:
- 1.67 AMD
- 1.5 GB DDR Ram
- 2 x 36 GB SCSI in Raid
- Tape backup, etc...

I store everything in the ZODB (images, js, css) which totals 59,702
objects. The zope process is fine, it peaks up and down but there are also
other sites (minor) running on Apache and mail server running on the
machine (also logs, tools, etc etc..). I would say the machine runs at
about 3-4% of capacity. I could easily bring this box up to 1,000,000 hits
a day without worrying about expanding.

Here is some suggestions:
- Get lots of RAM. Zope (python) loves RAM (and RAM cache helps)
- Up your zope threads (I run at 10) and cache size (10,000)
- Get SCSI & RAID (7,200 - 10,000 RPM). Since Zope reads its ZODB from the
drive you want this to be fast and reliable.

I think you could easily start with one box and migrate up. If you are
planning on a dual, look into Python and SMP. I remember reading it was
not great, so what you could do is run two instances (your ZEOs) one on
each processor.

Cheers,
BZ