[Zope] python locally compiled or binary distribution

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:36:11 +0200

Dennis Allison wrote at 2003-5-31 13:50 -0700:
 > I just build Python 2.1.3 locally and ran pystones and compared it to the
 > distribution binary version.  I did not tuning and chose no special
 > options.  On a dual processor 2100+ Athalon I got:
 >
 > 	distribution:	20833.3 pystones
 > 	local build:	20408.2 pystones
 >
 > I can up the level of optimization a bit (I think it defaults to -O2) but
 > this seems a bit off from your results.  What flag settings did you use?

I do not say that all distributions behave the way I observed it.
In fact, I had my bad experience only with SuSE 7.3's "Python 2.1.1".
My local build did not use any special settings. I just did:

   ./configure
   make

Dieter