[Zope] Re: what's the difference between metal:block and tal:block?

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:08:08 -0500

>>>A <metal:block> tag allows you to use METAL statements without having
>>>to prefix each attribute with 'metal:', while <tal:block> does the
>>>equivalent for TAL statements.
>>>

>>One uses these when there's no obvious or necessary tag in which to put
>>a METAL or TAL declaration. It's quicker to write than a div/span plus a
>>tal:omit-tag.
>>
>>Note that the name of the tag after the namespace (block) can really be
>>anything. But 'block' seems to be our de facto standard.
>>

>Could you point me to a document where the usage of tal:block is
>explained. I could not find it in the Zope Book or the Zope Developers
>Guide.

It's kind of not explained in anything official last I looked. Beats me
as to why. The posts in this thread are about as good as you're going to
get, and there were some past explainations on the list. Dunno if
there's a Zope.org howto or a Zopelabs recipe. If not, there should be.

          --jcc