[Zope] Question on Zope and including generated HTML content

Sean O'Neill sean@seanoneill.info
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:48:59 -0500

At 09:22 PM 6/19/2003 -0700, Dylan Reinhardt wrote:

>One common option is to keep your other content exactly as it is and use
>Apache as a reverse proxy for both systems.  This is generally the best
>option for fully dynamic external content, such as a squirrelmail
>installation.  It's pretty easy to set up Apache to use more than one
>source and switch among various sources based on URL matching.  Look at
>the Apache docs for RewriteRule for details.

This is how my current static HTML content is being delivered - Apache on
Solaris firewall reverse proxying Apache content running on FreeBSD machine
behind it.  This is easiest without question and probably how I'll do it
for now.  I was just hoping to see how feasible it would be to get Zope to
do it all.

I also looked at LocalFS from another post reply I got.  So far I'm not
getting far with LocalFS.  I keep getting the error when I attempt to hit
the index.html file that exists in the directory I point my LocalFS object at:

Error Type: NameError
Error Value: global name 'tmp_path' is not defined

I can't seem to find anything on LocalFS and this error anywhere.

>Another solution may be to port your dynamic content to Zope.  Without
>knowing anything about this dynamic content, it's hard to know whether
>that would be difficult or violate some other requirement.  But Zope is
>excellent at hosting dynamic content... it's quite possible that it may
>be applicable to your purpose.

This won't work - or I should say its 10,000 feet over my head.  The
content is generated using a rather large and complex Perl script,
associated Perl modules, and the RRD Perl module.

>The last solution I'll suggest is that you can cook up an external
>method that renders/calls/reads the external source.  If that content is
>a shell script or a file that some other process dumps out occasionally,
>this may be just the trick.  External methods have the full range of
>Python's abilities and can pretty much do anything, provided you have
>sufficient privileges.  You could build a poor man's reverse proxy this
>way if you really needed to.

50,000 feet over my head ... LOL

Thanks for the reply.

--