[Zope] Problems with assigning proxy roles to a python script

Matt Patterson list-matt@reprocessed.org
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:00:11 +0100

Hello,

I've been working on my first major project with Zope and I need to
allow members of the public to register with the site (which gets them
an entry in acl_users, and a very restricted role).

I know that I need to use a proxy role to make the script work - giving
it manage users privileges. I created a role, adduser, which only had
the 'manage users' privilege. When I tried to assign this role as a
proxy role to the add-a-user script I got the following error:

You are not authorized to change addUserScript because you do not have
proxy roles. (Also, an error occurred while attempting to render the
standard error message.)

I scratched my head, and then added all of the permissions that
Anonymous User has to the adduser role, and I got the same error. I
then added the 'change proxy roles' permission, and still got the error.

Out of frustration I assigned the script the Manager role as a proxy
role and it worked fine, and anonymous users were able to make
themselves a user account.

I'd really rather not use the manager role as a proxy role for this
script if I can avoid it - it seems a little dangerous. Can anyone shed
light on what's happening?

Thanks,

Matt Patterson

--