ZOPE IN WINDOWS, ANY WARNINGS I SHOULD KNOW? .RE: [Zope] crystal reports

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:34:20 -0700

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06:04 am, Ramon Linan wrote:
> Also, I have read in a couple of books that the database
that comes with Zope it is not very strong, I want to do a
"project" to share pictures with my family (on the other
side of the Atlantic), is there any reason for not using
the DB that comes with zope.

It'll be fine for that purpose.

The ZODB with "Filestorage" arrangement that Zope comes
with out of the box does indeed have a few flaws:

1) Its structure, being object based, is not as
straightforward to understand, browse, or search as a
relational database (which is virtually synonymous with
"SQL database" nowadays).  Nor does it lend itself to
examination by SQL tools (you can examine it from the
Python interpreter, though).

2) It lacks really good diagnostic and repair tools
compared with real filesystems (which includes any Linux or
DOS filesystem -- against which it compares poorly in this
respect).  There *are* a couple of tools, but I have to
admit I don't really know how to use them.

3) On some systems (I don't think all, but I could be
wrong) it will have a 2-gigabyte limit.  Of course, for you
to hit this limit, you would have to be a very prolific
photographer!

4) Because there are fewer users and it is intrinsically
more complex and it is newer, ZODB is not be as well tested
as run-of-the-mill SQL databases.  So there may be bugs
(indeed, I'm pretty sure there are a few, even though it's
been stable enough for me).

However, I don't think any of these will be a problem for
you. I am successfully using a ZODB/Filestorage system for
content management on our company's site (it's a small
site), and I don't see any reason to avoid it.  These
problems will occur for much *larger*, *higher-use*, and
*longer-term* use than you appear to need.

larger -- because of the 2GB limit and the general
impracticality of dealing with really large container files.

larger/higher-use -- because of the increased probability
of database corruption due to program errors, system
crashes, etc.  No system is perfect, and the ZODB system
does not (yet) provide enough repairability to deal with
this reality.

longer-term -- because the relatively narrow range of tools
than can work with ZODB databases means more "lock-in" to
the Zope system.  Over time, something else may become your
preferred system, and you may have more difficulty
importing compared to SQL databases which are widespread
(even if SQL effectively dies, there will be sufficient
demand for coping with legacy databases that import should
remain easy).

Of course, it's not impossible that there will be an
explosion of ZODB tools in the future.

Can't address running it on Windows, and you don't want my
Linux Zealot opinion, anyway (I advise against running
*Tetris* and *Solitaire* on a Windows machine, to be
perfectly honest ;-D ).

Cheers,
Terry