[Zope] Exporting zodb data (Urgent)

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
27 Jun 2003 16:06:19 -0700

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 08:58, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:
> Now client wants to write this application using
> php/mysql.

Their loss, I suppose.

> Zodb uses fileStorage to store data. I have tried zope's xml
> export but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah... that's not what it's for.

The challenge is not *just* that Zope stores objects, but that these
objects exist to produce dynamic content.  "Exporting" your content
would mean either taking a "snapshot" of what the site looks like at a
given moment or recreating the dynamism of the site in another medium.

If you just want a snapshot of the site, that's simple... open a CLI on
the host machine and type:

$ wget -r http://localhost:8080

Easy as pie.

If you're looking to capture the logic of the site, the best answer I
can give is to use wget to grab the HTML and recreate the logic from
scratch.  You're re-doing this in PHP anyway, the logic is bound to be
different and if you don't know DTML or ZPT well, it won't help you much
to have the original code.

But if you must, you *can* extract the code behind objects by browsing
them in the Zope Management Interface.  Depending on how big a system
this is, you may find it handy to script Zope using Python.

Best of luck,

Dylan