[Zope] Exporting zodb data (Urgent)

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:52:51 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:46:31AM +0530, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:

> >  Their loss, I suppose.
>
>  They want to it because zope has become very very slow.

what makes them think php will be faster?
zope performs pretty well with most jobs except serving large
files (at least 10 MB).

there are ways to speed up zope:
- various kinds of cacheing to reduce load
- using a profiler to find hot spots and optimize them

>  Yes that is what I want, a snapshot. I am working on windows system. What
> is
>  wget? What does it do? Will it work on Windows.

it's a downloading & mirroring tool for unix.
don't know if it runs on windows, there are probably similar GUI
tools available for windows.

>  Question is how do I know which objects store data and how many fields
>  (attributes) are there and their data types etc. in each of those objects.
>  And then how to extract data?

there is no general-purpose way to do this for all zope objects.
You haven't told us anything about what kind of objects they used in
the zope application to store data. DTML methods or documents? ZPT?
CMF content types?  some 3rd-party downloaded product?
Custom python products? Custom zclasses?

If you don't know any of this, and the customer doesn't either, and you don't
have sufficient zope experience to figure it out, then they've
given you an unreasonable burden. An experienced zope / python developer
could get this job done pretty quickly with a bit of python scripting.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com