[Zope] Help Needed - Case for Zope

Samir Mishra SamirMishra@cbuae.gov.ae
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:07:42 +0400

Thanks everyone.

Any Project managers out there with something to add with regard to
comparison between speed of implementation for Zove vs. other products?

Personally, I place maintainability and transitioning skills as my top
priority, and elegance of code comes last. Speed (e.g., of the server) is a
non-issue because one can always allocate better hardware for this since
it's a mere commodity now, intellectual capital is always at a premium.

And that's why I like Zope :)

But I still have to sell the concept to managers who only hear "Java" &
"JSP" from software vendors and so are most familiar with these
technologies.

Samir.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Browning [mailto:paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 11:58
To: 'zope@zope.org'
Cc: Samir Mishra
Subject: Re: [Zope] Help Needed - Case for Zope

--On 01 March 2003 21:52 +0100 Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:

> Samir Mishra wrote at 2003-3-1 14:26 +0400:
>  > My manager has requested comments on whether Zope "performs like a
> dog". I'm  > doing some digging around at the moment, but, in the
> meantime, if anyone has  > any links to recommend, benchmarks,
> experiences to share, that I can use to  > counter his 'assertion', it
> would be much appreciated.

One way of getting Zope "run like a bow-legged
terrier on sleeping pills" (Pieters, M., pers. comm.)
is to use multi-processor Solaris without paying attention
to the threading issues (see
<http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris>).

If you're starting from a clean sheet it's probably
best to avoid Solaris.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/