[Zope] Web mail & web chat

Marc Burgauer marc@sharedbase.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:02:08 +0000

Hi

I am looking for a Zope-based interface to offer web mail and real-time chat
for a potential customer who intends to run a public web-based service.

The average user will not be highly computer literate. (E.g. We expect many
not even to have an e-mail account.)

Web Mail
--------

The only "serious" product I have found is:

http://www.zope.org/Members/maraf/WebMail

It requires an IMAP server, currently we're still only doing POP3. Also this
product is in French, it seems.

- If anybody is using this product, can you share some experiences?
  + stability
  + scale (number of users, etc.)
  + How does it integrate with acl_users?
  + Willing to share English graphics and templates?

- Has anybody experiences with other products?

I am considering to offer @Mail, which looks impressive and is OK in price,
but it does not tie into Zope at all. (Or has somebody done this?) I mainly
worried about the administration effort of keeping usernames and passwords
in sync.

Web Chat
--------

I found this product:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jwashin/ZRTChat

Looks OK but is labeled as development.

- If anybody is using this product, can you share some experiences?
  + stability
  + scale (number of users, etc.)

- Has anybody experiences with other products?

Cheers

Marc