[Zope] system down - how to prevent?

Roel Van den Bergh roel@planetinterior.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:21:52 +0100

Yes our Data.fs is about 4GB but shouldn't a backup program like retrospect
be able to handle such files?

> > a 'load- balancer', a 'client' and a 'server'. Could this be
> narrowed down
> > to two machines?
>
> Or down to one machine. You dont have to put ZEO server and application
> servers on seperate boxes.

This does not help in case of hardware failure

> > And what if the actual 'ZEO server' goes down?
>
> Today it is a single point of failure, so make sure that one box is well
> engineered.
>
> Keeping a cold standby ZEO server isnt hard, if you dont mind a disaster
> losing a few recent transactions, and causing maybe an hour of
> downtime while
> you swap the boxes. There are several options for maintaining this
> replica.... Is that what you had in mind?

What do you mean by 'cold', how can you maintain an exact copy of the
Data.fs on another machine if that system isn't turned on and connected to
the original server.
Our hardware is located 30 km from here in a secured place.

And yes, swapping boxes is an option I had in mind.

Like bying two equal high-end servers with hot-swappable disks and in
emergencies moving the disks from one machine to the other. But my boss
hasn't got the money :-(