[Zope] system down - how to prevent?

Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:53:42 +0000

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 1:21 pm, Roel Van den Bergh wrote:

> Like bying two equal high-end servers with hot-swappable disks and in
> emergencies moving the disks from one machine to the other. But my boss
> hasn't got the money :-(

If you want redundancy then you will need two copies of your hardware. The
secondary system can be lower spec (in reliability, but not capacity),
because you will only be using it while the main system is down.

If you dont have easy physical access to the machines then Im not sure hot
swap disks are a great advantage. An online replication scheme would allow
you to switch remotely. There are scripts to do this for FileStorage (I/O
intensive, and hairy) and DirectoryStorage (still in beta release), and Zope
Corp have a commercial product.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson