[Zope] odbc da for zope on linux

Wade Leftwich wade@lightlink.com
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:40:34 -0500

>Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:21:06 +0000
>From: andy <andy@bigorangelovebus.net>
>Subject: odbc da for zope on linux

>Hi,

>Am I right in syaing that there is no such DA for zope running on linux?
>I can find the DA for the win platform, but can't find an equivalent for
>Linux..... I need to access information in an Access copied on a Linux
>server (where zope will also be running). All the clients connected to
>the server are Win98, so can't run Zope as a service anywhere else. Not
>sure if there's a problem with accessing data from this db if it's on
>the Linux server - if there is then I'll just point the DB request to
>one of the network machines. But first I need to get an adapter that
>works, and so far I can't see one.

Your Access mdb file is on your Linux box? I don't think you can open it there.
You'll need to put it on a Windows box, then talk to it via ODBC over
the network.

Marc-Andre Lemburg's new and excellent mxODBC Zope Adapter will do the job.
It's a bargain at $95 per Zope server. I'm using it on Windows, but have
tested his mxODBC module on Linux, and it works.

mxODBC enables Python to talk to the ODBC driver manager on your Linux box. There are a couple
of free ODBC driver mgrs available for Linux. Then for getting your Linux box to talk
to the Access box, there are one or two free projects as well as commercial products
(http://easysoft.com/).

If you don't need to keep the db in Access for other reasons, now would be an excellent time
to take a good look at PostgreSql.

You can probably get more answers on the Zope-db list.

Wade Leftwich
Ithaca, NY