[Zope] Whether Zope can do the job

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:50:46 -0800

I've never used PaperPort, but you are likely not wrong.  The likely
solution is to build a fat-client application using ZEO or XML-RPC and use
Zope as a backend, which obviously would require a great deal of work.
Alternately, if a web-based interface and for working with documents
post-scan is okay, I assume you could write scripts to control your scanning
software for batching document scan+upload, and upload this content into a
CMF site, for example, assuming your Zope instance can interface with yet
more component automation to talk to your OCR software (loaded on the Zope
server?) for metadata extraction.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Martins [mailto:fmartins@hetnet.nl]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 12:18 PM
To: Stephen Liu; zope@zope.org
Subject: RE: [Zope] Whether Zope can do the job

Stephen Liu wrote:
> I am searching open source for an alternative similar to PaperPort,
> Pagis Pro, OmniPage or PageKeeper, applications running on Windows.

I've used PaperPort quite some years ago and it was very nice application on
functionality and ease of use. I don't think Zope is an alternative to it.
Albeit you can build one with it (cf. sean's post) keep in mind zope is web
oriented, ie. you would have to build an interface based on html.

Are you really looking for a web application? To provide the same ease of
use as PaperPort in a browser would be quite a challenge, IMHO. Someone tell
me I'm wrong... (well I suppose you could combine with Java or
SASH+Javascript but...).

Fernando