[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Proposed installation changes for review

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:28:54 +0000

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 10:48 pm, Jamie Heilman wrote:

> > You'd probably still want a single master config file for the whole
> > thing, and a tool to check the configuration is valid separate from
> > the process that uses the file to configure itself.
>
> Not I.  Large applications with a master config file are to be held
> with suspicion.  Their longevity inevitably suffers because they are
> difficult to adapt to new situations.

Im not sure the "big config file" approach is necessarily less adaptable than
the "big /etc directory" approach. It is the details that make the difference
- both approaches can be done well.

> Another way to ease configuration is to make things modular so its
> easier to visualize the flow of data.

There is no amount of reconfiguration that can improve this in Zope2. Zope3
promises to fix this, but with modular python components rather than modular
unix components. I would be interested in your thoughts on whether this makes
a difference.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson